Wednesday, May 14, 2008

An apology, long overdue

I had this classmate in playschool... I don't remember her name or her face, but I remember one of her dresses. It was green and white, with a green cord running running around the waistline. On this cord were strung several large, bright, plastic beads. And she had the habit of sliding those beads from one side of her waist to another, the way one would slide beads on an abacus...

I was fascinated by that dress. And I was jealous, too... none of my dresses had fat, multi-coloured beads on them (now I'm really glad they didn't, but I was three then. I liked neon-bright beads). I loved that dress. I thought of it a lot. I never said anything to anyone about it, but one night, my parents and I were in bed, and I muttered (in my sleep?), "Her parents buy her such pretty things. My parents never get me anything!", that too in an accusatory tone. The moment I realized what I'd said, I promptly burst into tears, had a bout of coughing, and then threw up. My parents were really hurt, and for good reason too. After all, they've been the best parents I could ever hope for.

I still feel terrible when I think of that incident. It's a memory I wish I didn't have. I'm one of those lucky kids who got whatever she asked for. If you ask my folks, they'll tell you I never asked for anything, but that's not the point. The point is, they fulfilled every wish their kid ever had. They were my Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, teachers, friends and 'everyday-heroes', all rolled into one. They still are (not Tooth Fairy, of course..). I'm extremely grateful to Someone up there who let me have such wonderful parents.

I' still feel terrible about what I said that night, seventeen years ago. I wonder if my parents remember it at all... I'd like to say, nevertheless, Amma, Appa, I'm sorry!

6 comments:

Avinash K J said...

Im Touched !
Ive had many such situations when i feel i shouldve said sorry to my parents for my stupid deeds,
But as our Munna Bhai says " Galat kaam karne keliye bahut DARING chahiye, aur maafi maang ne keliye.. Us se bhi zyaada DARING hona mangta hai " :)
I couldn say that word 'SORRY' till now, may be i will...sometime soon.
Good writeup Neha, keep em coming :)

Sandeep said...

what's with the suspense and all? :P
and i totally agree with Avi's thoughts :)

As i started reading the post, i thought you'd have tore your playmate's (no pun) dress you envied... now i think you'd wish you had rather done that, don't you? :)

piyu said...

Hey Neha....

touchy ....
all the more touchy coz' I think I know the motive....
:)

Neha said...

oh, never mind.. the motive isn't all that interesting... and it has nothing to do with.. uhm.. touchiness. just wait a bit, and you'll know exactly what i mean. don't hold your breath though, it just might not be worth it!

Akhilesh said...

good one !!! made me think n think about any such incident which i might have had with my parents but fortunately for me, couldn't think of one. but really liked the piece of writing .

Sandeep said...

stopped writing huh!?