Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Misplaced priorities

Indomethacin, isoniazid, methaqualone, metronidazole, misonidasole, n-hexane, nitrofurantoin, parathion, pentachlorophenol, perhexiline, phenytoin, stilbamidine, streptomycin, sulphanilamide, triorthocresylphosphate…

I groan as I bury my face in my hands. I’m absolutely sure I’ll NEVER get those names straight. At least, not in time for the exam tomorrow. I mean, come on!!! Triorthocresylphosphate? Which reasonable person would expect a poor, tired and worn out (anti-chemistry) student like me to remember such stuff?

It’s nearly 3 a.m. I can’t even read my own handwriting anymore. My bed seems to glow softly, invitingly, with a strange kind of iridescence. I then realize it’s my eyes- everything’s a little blurry. I rub my tired eyes frantically and squint at my notes, pushing myself to study. But even as I scan the first line, my fingers creep towards my mobile, all of their own accord. I tell myself, no. I try to pull myself together and do what I’m supposed to do- STUDY!

But it’s too late. The mobile’s in my hand, my disobedient fingers have already typed out an SMS, ‘Up?’, and sent it to half a dozen people. In the next 60 seconds, my phone buzzes thrice. Three friends awake at this ungodly hour. I wonder why. I ask them. There, I’ve started three conversations now.

Quite in vain, I try to juggle SMSes, studies and music. No luck. It dawns on me that I’ve read the same sentence 6 times, without taking in a word of it. A few minutes later, my phone rings. Actually rings. I frown; I never get calls, let alone at 3 in the morning. Perplexed, I look down at that accursed, yet adored phone, to see a much loved name flashing on the screen, little hearts popping all around (both on the screen and in my head :P). I smile, albeit a little guiltily. With a sigh, I snap my book closed, give up trying to organize my incoherent thoughts and resign myself to the inevitable… I reach for the phone.

Triorthocresyl-whatever will have to wait till morning.

6 comments:

piyu said...

YEah!I felt that too about the strange resemblance.. hehe.. and you know what I am referring to ..But made a nice read.. Could connect soooooo much to the post!

Neha said...

see what I meant? dunno why it turned out the way it did, though... glad you liked it. and thanks so much for being my ONLY reader. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

hello!!! NOT the only reader! I read ur blog! Every 3rd day!
I just don't know what comments to leave...
But keep up the blogging, kiddo!

Neha said...

@lassys:
well, say SOMETHING. anything at all will do! oh, and thank YOU too.

Anonymous said...

super story!!! too much english... dint understand much!!!!

Neha said...

@anonymous:
Lol... too much english? Thanks anyway.