Monday, April 30, 2007

Tears can be medicine, too!

We're sitting on a bench, watching a little child playing with a ball. The ball flies through the air; so does the child, valiantly attempting an impossible catch. His chin strikes the pavement, and a moment later, the air is filled with his cries. His mother leads him away, tears still streaming down his face.

My friend turns towards me and asks, "When was the last time you cried?"

"Uhm...", I grope for an answer, "I don't know. I've never bawled like that, even when I was little, even when I was badly hurt. And it's been a while since I cried. Why?"

"No specific reason. I just asked. I was wondering, what makes you cry? As in, why do you cry?"

I wish i knew the answer to that question. I tell him I often cry for no apparent reason. He gives me his typical I-know-you're-crazy look. I just smile, and refrain from elaborating. Guys wouldn't understand!

It's true. When I cry, more often than not, it's impossible to reason out just why i'm crying. Or rather, there's no single cause I can put my finger on. I cry when I'm happy, I cry when I'm sad (duh!). I once sobbed my heart out when I listened to a song I love- a song that brought back some very special, bitter-sweet memories. Not too long ago, I went all teary-eyed because a friend told me just how much I matter to him. I cry when I'm lonely, I cry when I remember the happy times I've spent with my buddies in the past.

As for why we cry, technically, here's the deal.

There are actually three kinds of tears-

Basal tears: These keep our eyes well lubricated

Reflex tears: These are produced when the eye experiences some sort of an irritation- like when we cut onions, or when something falls into the eye

Emotional or Psychic tears: The body's emotional response to something

Crying (I mean shedding psychic tears) is a rather complex process. These tears require an emotional trigger to be pulled. Tears could be a reaction to pain, loss, or anything that one would consider 'emotional'. When emotions affect us, the nervous system stimulates a cranial nerve, which sends the appropriate neurotransmitters to the tear glands. And then- we cry!

The lacrimal gland, which happens to be the largest of the tear glands, produces tears of emotion and reflex. It is believed that in times of emotional stress, the body depends on this gland to release excess amounts of chemicals and hormones, thereby returning the body to its stable state.

We need both laughter and tears to live a happy and healthy life. crying helps in relieving stress, reducing hormone and chemical levels in the body and returning us to a state of calm and peace.

So, you see... Laughter may be the best medicine, all right. But crying's not that bad either!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the part that did'nt involve the science of crying better.. Because I so identify with you!! And your right.. Crying is not that bad either!!;)

Neha said...

You read ALL my posts? I LOVE you!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.