Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My grievances :P

One sunday, after listening to five sob-stories, I decided to call myself The Shoulder. No, really, that's what I am... The shoulder everyone cries on. On the same day, I also realized EYE don't have a shoulder to cry on, if I ever needed one. What do I do with MY problems? Blog them, of course! So, here goes- a list of my problems. They don't qualify as sob-stories, considering I laugh at them myself, but still. Problems are problems, right?

The Tamilians didn't get my name right, and now, unsurprisingly, the Umreecans are butchering it, too. N-E-H-A. How hard IS it, people? Nea, Niya, Niha, Nina... One professor kept getting my name wrong (she had a different error each time she tried), and finally asked me to spell it out for her. I did. N. E. H. A. "Ah! Leena!", she said. I gave up after that. Another kid asked, "Uhm.... You mean, like Neo but not?", which was strange, because a friend of mine had asked me the same question a couple of days ago. I just burst out laughing, and I was like, "Not! Not!". Kid got a little offended. Oh well!

I hate pink. And this is the Breast Cancer Awareness Month (or something like that), so everything is pink. The fountains spout pink water. The Amtrak building is a different pink everyday. The clock on the tower has a pink dial. The city hall and the museums are lit up with pink lights. The skyline is pink. It's disgusting! The final straw- I used the copy machine in school, and the copies came out printed on pink paper!

I have the world's best roommates. What do your roomies say when you say 'Hi!'? Mine say "Sssshhh!". And mind you, it's not like I shout or anything. And a few days ago, some of the girls had exams coming up, and were studying. They need peace and quiet. I understand. Which is why I was using earphones to listen to music. But even so, one roommate complained that my 'music was leaking'. So I obligingly stopped the music (really, no point in listening to Nickelback at a low volume). And you know what? The hall, I realized, was FILLED with clicks and hisses because these girls mouth the words they read. That bugged ME so much that I couldn't study.

My only real problem, I suppose, is that I'm lonely. I spent most of the morning walking in the cold rain, and listening to the saddest songs you can imagine. You can easily guess how sorry I felt for myself! I even thought of writing a book or making a movie with the title "Friendless in Philadelphia". Okay, I am overreacting, but it's just so sad to be walking in the rain, alone, and listening to sad songs. I had to drink a large coffee (I never drink anything but Small, because even 'small' is much more than I can comfortably handle), eat a brownie and a whole packet of Cheez-Its before I felt better. I gave away my other brownie and my packet of candies to a student who said he was hungry, and I felt even better. So did he. He said I was the best instructor they'd ever had. So, yay!

Oh, and my other big problem is that I have a paper to hand in tomorrow, and I haven't even started writing yet. Of all the days I could have chosen, I HAD to pick today, to resurrect my dead blog. Oh dear... this last problem won't be solved unless I go DO that assignment.

Later!




7 comments:

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

Oh dear. Do you want my roomies? (they are MUCH worse. They ask a million questions a minute; obsessively check blackberries; mess up the house; and snore in their sleep). :-)

December is very close by, dont worry, time will fly. & Brownies are good for you. (BTW If you remember what sort of creatures brownies are in Enid Blyton please tell me.)

Neha said...

Brownies are... uhm... I imagined them to be something like elves or pixies. Enid Blyton's Brownies were Hop, Jump and maybe Skip, who were really naughty and then turned good. I'm not really sure, though.

Jagjit said...

One of my friends had same 'problems' as you five years ago. And I suggested him to start 'drinking'? (Okay, that was five years ago). He seemed convinced and he did start drinking. Though after that I didn't get a chance to speak to him. So can't really guarantee success. :) nice blog though. enjoyed reading it...

Avinash K J said...

Amaazing ! Neha.. You are doing great offlate ...
Walking in Morning Rain, Alone ?? Kudos Buddy :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Neha....I hope things are better now, since you've been there for quite some time. The initial few months are hard anywhere you go, so hang in there!

Till then, I suggest you blog more :)

piyu said...

Hey Neha!!

Before you read teh name twice, yes it is me!!
Firstly, feels so homely reading your blog. Quite paradoxical that you aren't anywhere near home though :(
Hey, walkign alone in the rain is super romantic, if you ask me.
You have always been the shoulder, no new name there!!
But yes!! Am sure, you'll have much better times ahead.. so, stay on..
Waiting to read a walk in the rain "together" :)

Neha said...

@jagjit
thanks... i drink, too.. coffee. a LOT of it :)

glad you liked the blog.. thank you!

@avi
i didn't have anyone to walk with, when i wrote this post :P
I've taken to eating cupcakes in the snow now... WITH friends :D

@kusublakki
thanks! and yeah, i will blog.. new posts coming up soon!

@piyu
it's WONDERFUL to hear from you, dear... how've you been? and if i do take a walk in the rain 'together' (and romantic, heh heh), you'll be among the first to know!

@everyone
this post was a failure. it was supposed to be funny, but i guess it came out as a bitching, self-pitying rant. sorry about that :(

BUT.. thanks for writing back to me to cheer me up. I didn't need it, but it felt great anyway. HUGS!